Cold War Two
There is a group called Survivors of Torture International that has a chapter in my city, and I get their newsletter, sometimes attend their events, and have even occasionally donated to them. It is a very good cause and the people who give their time, money, and efforts to help survivors of torture are to be commended. But, as I’ve stated publicly, there is a problem here.
This is a partial transcript of testimony given on day two of the Kuala Lumpur War Crimes Tribunal by an Iraqi woman who was tortured by the US in Abu Ghraib. There is nothing positive or hopeful about it, so if you are trying to avoid being depressed, please don't read it.
Excellent backgrounder on US policy towards Egypt. A must read for anyone wondering why Obama and Clinton are still waffling.
Even knowing the history here, I hadn't put it together so comprehensively.
The ‘Italian Job’ and Other Highlights From U.S.’s Rendition Program With Egypt - by Nicholas Kusnetz , Pro Publica (Newslink)Submitted by folkie on 1 February 2011 - 10:07am
Very important article, not long, and worth reading.
It supposedly has a creative commons license, but the rules for reposting their stories are longer than the article itself, so here's the link:
New Government Should Prosecute Police Abuses, Make Clean Break With Torture
Torture and Despair: The Psychic Roots of the Revolution in Tunisia, Egypt and Across the Middle East - by Andy WorthingtonSubmitted by folkie on 29 January 2011 - 1:13am
- Open Letter to Lynne Stewart, Ralph Poynter, and Friends - by Mark E. Smith
- Say It Ain't So - by Michael Marking
- The Dynamics of Power in a Corrupt Society - by Mark E. Smith
- Please Smoke - By Peter Brimelow
- Why I’m Not Voting - by Lara Gardner
- Spain Hasn’t Had a Federal Government for the Last 9 Months — and People Love It - by Derrick Broze
- Doctor Warns – 80% of Medical Studies are Advertisements for Big Pharma - by Christina Sarich
- How Corrupt America Is - by Eric Zuesse
- The People Are the Story–and Corporate Media Are Missing It - by Janine Jackson
- Memorial Day, May 30, 2016, Portland, Oregon Vietnam Memorial - by S. Brian Willson
- Statement on Decommissioning Nukes - by Ace Hoffman
- Everything solid vanishes at the polls - by Raúl Zibechi
- Driving Out the Mosquitoes: Making Homelessness Illegal - by Dennis J. Bernstein
- I Helped Create ISIS - by Vincent Emanuele
- The Pecking Order is for Chickens - by Mark E. Smith
- Beat Writer Pedophiles and the White Male Leftists Who Love Them - by Mickey Z.
- A Dillar, A Dollar.... - by Mark E. Smith
- Do We Really Want a New World War With Russia? - by F. William Engdahl
- The Strange Consensus About Smoking - by Mark E. Smith