Waving the Banana at Capitalism: Freegans and the Politics of Waste in New York City - by Alex V. BarnardSubmitted by folkie on 28 March 2014 - 7:02pm
Waving the Banana at Capitalism: Freegans and the Politics of Waste in New York City
by Alex V. Barnard
University of California, Berkeley*
THE BARE NAKED FACE OF CAPITALISM:
Organic consumers recently learned to their horror that three corporations had been including genetically modified ingredients in food products labeled organic or non-GMO. The reaction of these consumers, who want to know what's in their food and who consider genetically modified organisms (GMOs) dangerous, was to increase their demands for GMO labeling.
For anyone who hasn't already read Dougla A. Blackmon's book, Slavery by Another Name: The Re-Enslavement of Black Americans from the Civil War to World War II, it is a must read. You can find the publisher's review along with reviews by many readers on amazon, goodreads, and many other sites.
I think most people have already seen this article from the March 14, 2012 edition of Rolling Stone, but it is so well done that I want to post the link here on Fubar for handy future reference:
Incident in New Baghdad: (Open Letter to Former US Soldiers and Critics of Ethan McCord) - by Carol GraysonSubmitted by folkie on 27 February 2012 - 5:22am
INCIDENT IN NEW BAGHDAD: (OPEN LETTER TO US SOLDIERS AND CRITICS OF ETHAN MCCORD)
I'm going to repost Mark Tucker's newsletters here on Fubar. The third segment of his Capstone on Capitalism series, which I just received, refers to the discussion going on over at BradBlog, and I eagerly await Part Four and will post it here as soon as it arrives.
If you don't want Fukushima USA to happen, there's only one choice:
Shut 'em down! Shut 'em all down NOW!
But don't for a minute think that Fukushima was as bad as it can get!
It was bad. It was under-reported how bad it was -- and is.
You don't have to be an expert or even a mind reader to be able to see what's going on in the financial world.
- On Being Ethnically Cleansed in California -- A Smoker's Lament
- Ramona Africa Talks MOVE, Liberation and Surviving 1985 Bombing - by Lamont Lilly
- Open Letter to Lynne Stewart, Ralph Poynter, and Friends - by Mark E. Smith
- Say It Ain't So - by Michael Marking
- The Dynamics of Power in a Corrupt Society - by Mark E. Smith
- Please Smoke - By Peter Brimelow
- Why I’m Not Voting - by Lara Gardner
- Spain Hasn’t Had a Federal Government for the Last 9 Months — and People Love It - by Derrick Broze
- Doctor Warns – 80% of Medical Studies are Advertisements for Big Pharma - by Christina Sarich
- How Corrupt America Is - by Eric Zuesse
- The People Are the Story–and Corporate Media Are Missing It - by Janine Jackson
- Memorial Day, May 30, 2016, Portland, Oregon Vietnam Memorial - by S. Brian Willson
- Statement on Decommissioning Nukes - by Ace Hoffman
- Everything solid vanishes at the polls - by Raúl Zibechi
- Driving Out the Mosquitoes: Making Homelessness Illegal - by Dennis J. Bernstein
- I Helped Create ISIS - by Vincent Emanuele
- The Pecking Order is for Chickens - by Mark E. Smith
- Beat Writer Pedophiles and the White Male Leftists Who Love Them - by Mickey Z.
- A Dillar, A Dollar.... - by Mark E. Smith